Warm Weather… Warm Thoughts

The gray skies and the cool breeze highlight what is usually my colorful classroom. The students moan aloud as another indoor recess is announced. Can you blame them? The temperature has been wonderful, with most of them showing up with only a sweater. But, it’s really hard to enjoy being outside when it’s pouring rain.

Yet, to me, this small glimmer of “warm” weather gives me hope for a chance at enjoying normal things, like ice cream, iced coffee, and the outdoors – 3 of my favorite things. I have Cold Induced Urticaria, which basically means I’m allergic to the cold. Recently, my allergy has been getting progressively worse and I’ve been updated to an EpiPen, as well as new medication. Will it ever go away? Probably not, but I like to think I stay positive and don’t let our horrible Illinois winters get to me. For now, this is my home and I’m not going anywhere.

FAQ about CIU

1. It can manifest in many ways – like hives and tiredness when its cold temperatures or throat tightness when I eat or drink something cold
  2. I survive our winters by just bundling up and staying away from going out, as much as possible. I carry a warm blanket and extra clothing in the car, just in case.
  3. I drink a lot of hot coffee, hot chocolate, and hot tea. I’m basically 90% of these drinks.

1 thought on “Warm Weather… Warm Thoughts

1. Oh my. I didn’t realize there is an allergic reaction to cold. I’m sorry you developed it, but I empathize. I can take a lot of heat, but don’t do well in the cold. Now I understand why we folks in central coastal California, aka the San Francisco Bay area, are willing to put up with traffic jams and exorbitant taxes. We mostly have good weather.
    Like you, I’m looking forward to being outside more, starting this week.